Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Water For Elephants: A review


This weekend I saw Water For Elephants. I had read the book about a month ago and finished it in 2 days. It was good. It drew me in and I escaped to the circus life every time I picked it up. That is my favorite kind of book. The ones that instantly transport you somewhere else, with other people who you have come to love.
Anyway, I loved the book and was anxious to see the movie. I knew it would be different, I prepared myself for that. There is no way they could have taken all that was in the book and put it on the big screen and keep it a reasonable length. So I settled in with two of my friends who had not read the book and prepared to be transported once again to another world. One I had read about before but this time Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon would be there. And that was all right by me.
It was great. Yes, they breezed past the beginning too quickly for my taste, and you could not nearly get the depth of the story as in the book (again, I knew this is how it would be). But they did so well with it. Robert and Reese were breath taking and played the parts perfectly. I enjoyed almost every minute of it. (It was hard to "enjoy" the parts with the animal cruelty in them, even though they were necessary, I cringed and found my fists clenched when it was over). I was sad to see it end. It was like one more goodbye to the characters I had known and loved, and hated.
My friends who hadn't read the book absolutely loved it too, so it's good to know it goes both ways, whether you've read the book or not, you should see this movie. It's great.

2 comments:

Mama said...

I WANT TO SEE THIS WITH YOU!!!!! but I'll take dad as a substitute I guess ;) Great review, chica!! Also, bring the book when you come, cuz I wanna read it!

sarahjobell said...

i've really been wanting to see this! :)

Blog Archive