Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rest




Today's chapel hit me pretty hard. We talked about rest, finding rest amidst the madness in God. Knowing that he is where we truly find our rest and to not neglect that. He tells us over and over to find rest in him, it's even one of the Ten Commandments "Obey the Sabbath and keep it holy." He commands us to rest, in Him, often.
I don't do this. I rest, sure, but not in him. When I do stop my busy day to rest, I do it on Facebook, or in front of the TV. I don't find true rest in him.
I'm not even talking about only physical rest, not at all. Emotionally, spiritually, I need to rest in God. I need to breathe deep in him and know that in Him my world is held together. No one or nothing else can do this, especially not me.
I need to stop worrying about the future (as a Senior in college that is TOUGH) and trust in him in the now. I don't mean not plan for the future or have any goals or dreams, but to not miss the "now" he has brought me too. I can't miss him now.
This is a challenge, in our society where business is valued and seen as a good thing, we never truly find rest.

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. Psalm 62

1 comment:

Mama said...

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! Good, good, good stuff :):):):) There is NO other rest like what we find in Him, and Satan does his best to distract us so that we forget that truth. That's why He gave is the commands, demanded the discipline from us, because He knew we needed it and He was the only place to find it. He's cool that way....:)

Beautiful post!

Blog Archive